Another tell-a-friend like Facebook / Myspace / Linkedin etc script seems to have launched today
This script is different to Optin Accelerator in a number of ways
- The script is hosted 100% on your server
- No subscription fee
- It doesn’t “send home” any date, so it is 100% your responsibility
In theory that makes it almost exactly the same as the scripts used by the big boys of Web2.0 though their servers are less likely to conk out the first time someone with 200 contacts in Gmail uses the script if you are on shared or even most reseller hosting. You would probably have problems on most virtual servers as well.
I don’t know if the service can be configured to use a 3rd party SMTP, whether it uses sendmail, phpmailer, or swiftmailer.
If you are a smart programmer, picking this up might give you a few ideas, but remember
- It is still against the published ToS of Aweber
- You are still encouraging people to do something that is unsafe if running an internet business
- Legal liability – it is you sending the emails – in some ways I would be worried about the claims on the sales letter that it doesn’t keep a record – if you are sending emails there is always a record somewhere, though you are best advised to keep a record of every email you send anywhere.
- The script needs to be maintained for updates – maybe it will be updated over time, but best to allow for programming time to keep it working.
- The Plaxo option is free, and maybe safer
I have thought a little more about the suggestion Aweber make about forwarding emails – that is actually unsafe for most email lists, because many readers will also forward unsubscription information. What happens if they forward it when you are price testing? Forwarding effectively encourages public posting.
Maybe it is better to mail the person sending when they use a standard TAF with a letter encouraging they forward that to friends and also the message that goes to their friends.
It is still TAF though, so check with your email service provider.